At the end of April, we are planning to release a completely new planning tool. We want to do this to simplify the process of planning into one tool that incorporates everything from project steps via activities to individual cards on the kanban boards. All this will be unified in one new tool called simply – Plan. The background is that the current timeline details have felt disconnected from the cards on the boards and also that many of our users prefer a gantt visualisation of the project plan. The Plan should tell everyone where we are headed and how we will get there.
The idea is to have one tool for planning from project step to cards. We wanted wanted to visualise your plan in a more conventional and gantt like format without compromising on our design concepts of simplicity and delightfulness. All the data that you currently have in your timeline will be converted to the new tool on release!
These are some things you can expect from the new tool:
- The plan will be organised as a Gantt chart with a list of the work broken down into a traditional WBS – work breakdown structure.
- For ease of use you can drag and drop your activities in the list. Moving an activity in the list will automatically update the WBS.
- We also make duration a more prominent parameter for your activities.
- On the lowest level activities you can connect cards from the boards or create new ones.
- The data is aggregated to higher levels – it is easy to see which data is aggregated.
- You can zoom the plan in or out to view more or less detail. To give you the complete picture you can also drill down to individual cards for follow up.
- The card data is incorporated in the plan.
- Lock activities to prevent unwanted changes.
Some of the things we are planning on adressing in future releases are dependencies, resources and time reporting.